Monday, August 25, 2014

Ice Bucket Challenge

So, one day last week, my phone notified me that I had an Instagram message.  When I took the time to go to Instagram, I saw that I was nominated by SwimChicks friend for this Ice Bucket thing.  WHAT?!?!?!  There on the page was the friend with her mom, talking about ALS and fundraising.  My first thought was, "Are you crazy?"  But SwimChick was up for the challenge.

Here is what I found out:  Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) is a progressive neurodegenerative disease that affects nerve cells in the brain and the spinal cord. Motor neurons reach from the brain to the spinal cord and from the spinal cord to the muscles throughout the body. The progressive degeneration of the motor neurons in ALS eventually leads to their death. When the motor neurons  die, the ability of the brain to initiate and control muscle movement is lost. With voluntary muscle action progressively affected, patients in the later stages of the disease may become totally paralyzed. (From the ALS website)

Someone started this Ice Bucket Challenge to raise money for ALS.  Read about the challenge here.  It is my understanding, that if you are challenged, you have 24 hours to accept and post your video OR/AND donate to the cause.  I have not seen my nominees post their videos, so I guess ALS will be getting some nice donations from those 4 individuals!

I have seen a lot of my friends on Facebook posting their videos.  The buckets range in size and I have seen ice in some but not all.  It is all in great fun and to raise awareness.  Thanks for the challenge ladies.

Here are our videos:

We did it!  We challenged our friends and are waiting to see their videos!

I can't find ChessMaster's video.  :(. If you are on Facebook or Instagram, you can see it there!

Off n Running,
AnnMarie


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment here.