Wednesday, December 12, 2012

First Great Date Complete!

8 Great Dates For Moms And Daughters: How To Talk About True Beauty, Cool Fashion, And Modesty! (Secret Keeper Girl)

I found this book a year or so ago.  SwimChick is in middle school, the age when all of these things matter the most.  I read through the first few chapters of this book and was nervous and excited about it.  I want my kids to be able to talk to me about all kinds of stuff.  I want them to be honest with me and not be afraid of my reaction when they are.  I thought this might be a good stepping stone.  

I wanted to start these dates over the summer.  Here we are December and we FINALLY did it.  As I stated, I was a bit nervous so it was easier to keep putting it off.  Then one day it became a reality and I couldn't put it off any more.

The school has incentive days.  These are days when they take the classes to movies or roller skating.  First quarter incentive was the week of Thanksgiving.  SwimChicks class went to see the movie "Wreck it Ralph", which she reported was good.  She also reported that a boy and girl in her class were kissing during the whole movie.  WHAT?!?!  There are so many wrongs with that.  First off, this was a school function, where were the teachers?  Second, this was a school function, why would it be ok to make out in front of all your peers?  I thought I have got to do these dates ASAP.  SwimChick was grossed out that this girl and boy were kissing with tongues and everything.  Good deal, I thought, keep thinking that way until you are at least 18 girl!

So, for our first date we went to the Anaba Tea Room in Shorewood, WI.  What a great place for our first date.  We listened to Dannah on the ride to the tea room.  She told us a story of a beautiful tea cup and we learned that we are all pieces of art that God is still perfecting.  I had called the tea room and made a reservation.  At that time I found out they only serve in "common" cups, so I brought some of our "fancy" cups.  I am praying that our first date is still working on her and will continue to do so as she grows.  

Here are some photos taken with the cell phone, because I forgot to bring the real camera:  



We ordered the Tea for Two.  We got 4 kinds of sandwiches, a salad and 3 desserts.  Yummy and fun.  We took food home there was a lot of it.  The atmosphere was perfect and it was not crowded at all, so no one looked at us funny for bringing our own tea service!  

As I said, I hope that the lesson about God's beauty in all of us got her to thinking and will open doors for great conversations in the future.

Off n Running,
AnnMarie



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment here.