Tuesday, August 14, 2012

What are you running for?

I signed up to receive a quote of the day from RunnersWorld.com.  This is today's quote:


"I believe in using races as motivators. It's hard to keep an exercise program if you don't have a significant goal in sight."

Bob Greene, fitness instructor


I had to share and blog about it, because it still truly amazes me how much everything is connected in life, and this quote just fits with my life at the moment.

A few weeks back, I went for a run into the park near my house.  Depending on the device I am using, it is roughly a 3 mile loop from the house into and around the park and back.  It was later than my usually 5:30am run, and in my opinion the park was crowded!  LOL.  (There are about 3 people I usually see on my runs, that day there were more than 3!)  As I ran my loop I was passing walkers and saying good morning, and then up ahead I came across a lady running.  When I got to her, I said good morning, and commented on the cooler weather.  It was not 75 at 7am!  She fell in step with my pace and we chatted for the next few miles.  I found out that she has a Husky, named Jake.  She is an early riser like me and enjoys running.  She gave me her email and phone number and we decided to stay in touch.

I emailed her as soon as I got home!  I have lived in my neighborhood for 11 years, and this was the first time I found an early riser who wants to run.  I couldn't let this one get away.  Mrs. H and I have been meeting at 6am for the past 3 or 4 weeks.  During our runs we chat about our families and work and it helps the time go faster.  One day I mentioned that I would like to run another half marathon.  I have not been on a regular running routine in years. (12 years ago I was training for the Flying Pig Marathon and my running partner had to have foot surgery.  Then we found out we were having a baby and I hung up my shoes.  Bad decision, but I will have to tell that story another day!)  I had been eying up the Tyrenena Beer Run, but had not committed to it yet.  She was game, so we are now officially signed up to run the half barrel race on November 3, 2012.  

This quote says he uses races as motivation.  I am motivated to finish my second half marathon.  Mrs. H is helping me achieve the goal.   We are following this program that she found.  We need to find a 10K in September as part of our training, got any suggestions?

I am excited to be running again, for real.  I have dabbled in running for the past 11 years.  SwimChick's birth changed so much in my life.  I love my kids and they are old enough now that I can start to focus on me.  Running has been a part of me for a long time.  (My 25 year High School class reunion was this summer!)  I became a runner as a freshmen in High School.  It wasn't until I joined the University of Wisconsin - Eau Claire track team in the fall of 1987, that I understood running.  I miss that time out on a run with my friends and my thoughts.  I miss the way my body looked too.  As the quote states, I need a race to keep me motivated.  Having a running partner again, helps too!

Mrs. H, thanks for being in the park that day and becoming my running partner.  I look forward to our early morning runs and chats.  Thanks!

Off n Running,
AnnMarie   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment here.